Sunday, May 19, 2013

If you're pregnant, don't put a ring on it

Everybody told me . . . but I didn't listen. Everyone said, don't wait too long . . . but I didn't listen. And now it's too late. I am seven months pregnant and I don't feel that swollen, but I guess I am. One morning last week, I tried to take off my rings, and they wouldn't come off. I didn't panic, I just decided to wait another day, and then another day, and then another day. On that third or fourth day, I started to panic. I told Shawn (and of course he just shook his head because he was one of the people that told me, "don't wait too long"). I tried lotion, lube, cold water, a tourniquet, dental floss, windex (all proven methods on the internet). But nothing worked. I then had to fly to San Antonio this week (which flying makes it worse) and my fingers got even more swollen. Then a blister formed. And it was time. At 1:30 today, my rings were extracted. It was a terrifying process, including a circular saw, leather and pliers. I asked the jeweler how many times he had to perform this, let's call it a 'procedure'. He responded with 16 or 17 . . . in 20 years. Below is a pic of my hand afterwards. I couldn't get the other picture to upload, but trust me, the rings are a scary sight. Thank goodness, they can be repaired. I don't know the cost yet, but I am sure it is cheaper than a new finger (even with my discount) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment